March 9, 2010

Top 10 Hyperion Events of the Decade is Over

Frankly, I find it hard to believe I started this series 2-and-a-half months... and then managed to stick with it. Part of it is that I've been watching the readership of this blog and it's been growing week-over-week all year. Either this means you like what you've been reading, or you've invited your friends to join you in mocking my blog (including my frequent use of parenthetical expressions, my extreme overuse of the phrase "That said" whenever I want to argue with myself, and my annoyingly self-referential & self-deprecating prose).

That said, I’m sure every single person who read this series disagreed with at least part of it. I’m suspecting that with the exception of the #1 event being the Hyperion/Oracle merger (I reject your reality and substitute my own!), you probably don’t like the order, you can’t believe I included some of these items, and you’re shocked I forgot a few events. Feel free to eviscerate me in the comment section of this blog. Not to say I enjoy that sort of thing, but at least it shows you care enough to flame.

Hopefully, the next ten years will bring even more innovation while providing far less upheaval. Unless Oracle wants to buy up SAP and sell them off for parts...

4 comments:

Alp Burak Beder said...

These were excellent posts and each one was a pleasant reading too.
I would really only argue with the #3. I think Hyperion was and still is way behind its rivals in the BI area. They'd invested so poorly in the BI scene, acquisition of already ageing and allegedly collapsing Brio didn't really improve the things greatly. Apart from some useful components (i.e. Workspace) Brio -then Performance Suite -then Interactive Reporting haven't really contributed greatly to the potentially brilliant BPM suite. I still feel somehow angry with Hyperion for not improving and integrating or bothering to improve or integrate Brio's strong BI capabilities with the rest of the products on the shelf. It has always been so isolated... shame... really.
I strongly agree with you in your #1 choice on the other hand. I have high hopes for Oracle to make things much better in the BI area in their BPM suite.

GlennS said...

I did pretty well guessing what a number of items on the list would be and easily got #1. You are correct I don't completely agree with you on the order or some of the items. You allude to one I would have included, but brush it off. "Hyperion becomes the master of product renaming" It became so bad, Hyperion had to produce conversion maps to show old and new product names. Some of the products went through 5 or 6 names (EIS was HIS, HAS EAS, EIS and a few others over time).

The list does show how far we have come in the last 10 years after stagnating for a couple of years after Hyperion and Arbor merged. I see a bright future for the products and can't wait to see what is yet to come.

Michael Reed said...

Your blog still remains to be the best place to get updates on what is going on in the Hyperion world. That said it is also very entertaining.

Matt Sevinc said...

I agree with Mr.Beder. In addition, Oracle's lack of support and slow bug fixing times creates a bad impression both on the customers and consultants.